Saturday, January 28, 2012

What we learned during Winter Hosting

So I have been ruminating on a final summary of my thoughts about this winter.

And yes, this is my last post about winter hosting. (You know I gotta start talking about summer soon!)

It was an incredible experience, just like the first time around. Although this time we knew what to expect; to an extent at least.

Some of the key points that stuck out:
  • It was a good experience for us to deal with a child with more obvious "issues." This can only help prepare us for our soon to come future. (Not that S doesn't have his own issues, they are just not so quickly obvious. The tantrums with 2.0 were often, and there were other behaviors that mimicked what I have been reading about (in blogs and books that deal with traumatized kids) for the past 2 years)

  • It reinforced that we are on the right path, we want to adopt, and we want to adopt boys.

  • It confirmed that we would like to adopt two this time around. 

  • It confirmed for my hubby that he can grow to love another child, just like he does S. (This was a big one. As with many men, there is that fear that they cannot love a child that is not biologically theirs......Matt is an incredible Papa, and so full of love for these kids that I never doubted it, but it was something he needed to know for himself) 

  • Hosting is awesome!  It gives these kids a hope  for their future. It changes the kid's lives but it also changes your own! 


Some pics of the other kids that were hosted with our group this winter:





First birthday party? I don't know but all of us parents got choked up while we were singing her happy birthday:



Our boys with the other boys hosted here in our state this winter:



Jeremiah 29:11-14


"For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile."

2 comments: