Monday, February 6, 2012

Preparation

After my excitement last week, (with sending our paperwork to USCIS) of course we had to have a little stress.

The reality of how quickly things are moving was a bit scary for my hubby. However, I do think it's completely natural to wonder "Are we prepared enough?" or "How in the world are we going to come up with the money for this?" etc. Thankfully we have shouldered through and are attempting to stay focused on what matters.

Please, if you think about it, keep us in your prayers are we are in such an important time period for making decisions for the adoption.

AND in case you were wondering how we are preparing for this adoption, this is what I am doing so far.


I have done lots of reading!

Adopted for Life by Russell Moore-Good if a bit dry.

**Highly Recommend:Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control by Forbes and Post**
Buy on Amazon





**Highly Recommend:The Connected Child by Purvis, Cross, and Sunshine**
Buy on Amazon

Adopting the Hurt Child-Keck and Kupecky- I don't really remember what I thought of this one.

Currently reading:
Wounded Children Healing Homes by Schooler, Smalley, and Callahan- and I really like it so far.

My next read will probably be Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control Volume 2
Amazon Link

And I have also read several (4-5) biographical books with accounts of children from "hard places."

I read a TON of "Trauma Mama" Blogs. :-) I probably read way too many of them, and am preparing for the worst case scenario....but I'd rather be over-prepared than not at all! You can see some of my favorites on the sidebar of my blog. This has been one of the best resources thus far....and I think it will continue to be so....even if we don't end up on the extreme spectrum, as it will give me connections with other mother's in similar situations.

Online articles:
http://empoweredtoconnect.org/resources/

Online training (haven't done this yet, it is on the agenda for the next few months):
http://www.adoptionlearningpartners.org/

I also think that one of the other important things we can do is make sure we make connections within our community. I want connections for the children, (there is a large eastern European community where we live) but also we need to build relationships for us as we will need a good support system in the days to come.


*Soon I will follow up with a post for how we are preparing financially as well!

4 comments:

  1. You are going to be a great Mom! You are doing a great job of preparing and everything else will fall right into place where it should. He always makes sure of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! I appreciate that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am certain no one is ever "ready" for this zomg-my-world-has-toooooooootally-just-changed event, but its so very amazing, just hang on and enjoy the ride :)
    We had eleven days to get to Ukraine (round 2)- we thought we would have MONTHS as Ali took a YEAR! Go out for a few picnics (cheaper than a restaurant) and enjoy those peaceful moments ;)
    It's all happening as it should!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Yes, I know there is NO way I can truly be prepared for what is to come! And yes, I definitely need to learn how to enjoy to the journey.

    11 days! That's pure craziness!

    ReplyDelete